Flying Swallow? More like Space Swallow, HAHAHAHAH aw yeah

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Zeku, a Strider?, a returning Bushinryu master
coinilius
 Posted: Oct 17 2017, 03:49 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Zenny: 485

Donate
Member No.: 101

This is some very interesting information, the connections certainly seem to coming thick and fast.
PM
^
Zero-ELEC
 Posted: Oct 17 2017, 01:34 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Zenny: 20

Donate
Member No.: 103

PM
^
Strider Ichiban
 Posted: Oct 17 2017, 03:46 PM
Quote Post

SEAP
Group Icon

Zenny: 1855

Donate
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Zero-ELEC @ Oct 17 2017, 12:32 PM)
He jumps like Hiryu.

And slides like him, too.
Many people online are thinking that he's the 'first' Strider.
Maybe, when he disappeared, he could have just trained with them or something, but that would be ignoring the whole blood lineage thing. The Striders are also supposed to have been around for a lot longer than his age here would suggest.
Perhaps this will be a retcon after all.

[Edit] I updated my last comment, Sombra, if you haven't noticed it yet.

This post has been edited by Strider Ichiban: Oct 17 2017, 04:03 PM
PM
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Oct 18 2017, 04:22 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Wiki Staff Member
Zenny: 4510

Donate
Member No.: 18

And he also walks like Hiryu! Look at how young Zeku walks in the video at 1:02

It's the same way Hiryu walks in Strider 2.

Attached Image

The video also shows how his Hassou Jump looks like, at 1:20. It's a dive kick off the wall, similar to his Leaping Kick/Jump Attack from Marvel vs. Capcom. And at around 0:50 one of his attacks is a chop using a horizontal sweeping motion not unlike the one Hiryu does when swinging the Cypher. After he walks into Guile he also performs a crouching version of the same chop, so it seems he gets an all horizontal series much like how Hiryu's MP series in MvC is always an horizontal slash.

I just need to check his full animation set now, there may be more in there!

Loud and clear, Ichiban! http://I.imgur.com/qw8GAII.gif

QUOTE (Strider Ichiban @ Oct 16 2017, 04:16 PM)

I hear you. I'm a little anxious to see how they handle this one to tell you the truth. We probably can't expect too much, though, being another verses fighting game and all. It is a game with a big budget, however, and I believe they spent a lot of time on this one compared to some of the others in season 2.

Indeed, I'm looking forward for what they do, but trying to keep expectations on check. Likely we may get some more nods and more little hints regarding the series' connections, but I'm not expecting any full reveals about this or anything. it does seem Capcom's putting some nice effort here thought, so let's hope for the best.

Honestly, they just need to have someone tell him near the end something akin to "wow, you fight like a Shinigami, master!" and I'll be content. http://I.imgur.com/GUZdhDQ.gif

I haven't actually bought it yet, have you? I was a little underwhelmed myself. It's like Strider was thinking in the story mode, 'Ah, think I'll sit this one out and let everyone else save the world for a change'.
Might wait for an eventual Steam sale where I can get it at a bargain price. Anyway, I have been lurking around. Probably more so on the Wiki, though. I see you've been as busy there as ever! Always good to see what stuff you add. smile.gif

If you read the Infinite thread, you may have seen some of my opinion of the game's story. It's allright (entertaining but with a lot of awkward writing and consistency), and while I like the Strider representation all around, I find some of the decision taken baffling or downright stupid (Meio not "fighting" Hiryu being at the top of my list).

I haven't bought it yet, mostly due to a lack of funds right now tongue.gif but also because the roster's so meh I'm in no rush. Maybe if Hiryu's DLC costume blows my mind I'll reconsider getting it sooner, but I'm not sure if that's gonna happen...

And thanks! Glad you're still around in the wiki. I enjoy writing stuff when the inspiration strikes, and I always find some new angle to write a topic about or a bit of new info to include. Thanks for the support! http://I.imgur.com/GUZdhDQ.gif

Now with SFV's cameo/references out of the way, we only need a Hiryu costume in Dead Rising 4 and a chibi Hiryu in Puzzle Fighter and I'll be really happy. Ever since the 2014 game Hiryu's been on a roll and I'm enjoying it immensely.

What form did it take when it hit the internet? Was it typed in or is it scans of his handwriting or something? Do you have it in its original form to compare it with with that video someone made of it? You know, that video where he sucked at playing Osman. wink.gif I'd really like to see it if it's still available online...

Both times it was posted online (as an anon in a 2ch thread in 2006, and as two notes in his Facebook in 2013) it was typed in, he never provided scans or any official source sadly. We can't be 100% sure, but the amount of detail on the backstory and the elements that turned up in official sources (like the Tungus tribe or the details on Teki), plus the references to the manga (Isuke has said plenty of times he only knows stuff from the Arcade game) and the fact a similarly-posted Nostalgia scrapped prequel script was published mere months earlier is what make us think it is legit an original draft of the story.

(Although personally I'm happy with the fact it's written by the series' original creator. All should Hail the Isuke-verse, Capcom canon be damned! tongue.gif )

Are you asking if the video of him playing Osman is still online? Because it is.

How I'd love to see a full commentary with Isuke playing that game...

Yeah, that'd be awesome. Fun fact: Isuke did a full walkthrough of both Suzuki Explosion and Nostalgia 1907 with commentary together with Ando Takehiro (producer of the former and Moon Diver) for the latter's retro game channel "Shishirara TV", both lasting more than 4 hours.

Did you ever get to see the interview with him in the Strider 2004 Special Edition, by the way, I can't seem to find that anywhere? Is that the place where he said where Hiryu's name came from?

Far as I know, it was never fully uploaded online sadly. Mokko listed the most interesting revelations from it some time ago on twitter (that being the most interesting one), which is from where I got it. Still hoping someday it sees the light of day, it's too good to be lost on a PS3 disc!

QUOTE (Strider Ichiban @ Oct 17 2017, 02:44 PM)

Maybe, when he disappeared, he could have just trained with them or something, but that would be ignoring the whole blood lineage thing. The Striders are also supposed to have been around for a lot longer than his age here would suggest.
Perhaps this will be a retcon after all. 

For the first it's not necessarily a problem, for example if he has some descendance from members of the tribe (the fact that his Gram moves are named after two Ancient China tribes from the region may be a good hint that he does, actually!), he'd fit right in as part of the blood lineage. The fact he's officially Japanese could also be a factor, since Hiryu was born in mainland Asia, but he identifies himself as Japanese nonetheless.

The latter is harder to "work around", although we should not expect them to stick to the original text 100%, unfortunately. Perhaps the Striders back at the 19th and early 20th Century were a lot more different in structure and organization to the ones in the 2000's/2040's, and so Zeku "funds" the modern incarnation of the clan and becomes the standard for agents going forward.

Although I think it may not be explained with that much depth anyway, so we'll probably be left with our headcanons to fit all in in the end.

Attached 1 File(s)

--------------------
user posted image
The spirit of the warriors will always be with you.
PM
^
Suzaku
 Posted: Oct 18 2017, 08:36 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: LSCM Staff Member
Zenny: 305

Donate
Member No.: 17

So, at the start of the WSO Zeku showcase that Capcom UK did last night, Logan Sama (Capcom Pro Tour organizer) started the stream by saying they were going to show off "the first Strider," after Matt Edwards showed off his Strider scarf (one of the 2013 SDCC con-exclusives with the game's logo). Don't know if that should be taken as canon, but still, he did say it. Also gave a shoutout to all the people who have been finding all the easter eggs / homages in his animations.

They go through a bunch of his attacks, but don't hit everything. Note that his moveset, including normals, is completely different between his Young and Old Forms, and I'm only going to focus on the stuff that seems to be drawn from Hiryu; he has a lot of moves from Guy.

Movement: We've of course seen that his Young Zeku jump is the famous Hiryu cartwheel, but his Old Zeku jump appears to be Hiryu's double jump forward flip animation. His walk animations could be meant to like Hiryu's walking animations from Strider 2, but could also just be Guy's similar walking animations (dating back to Final Fight).

Ground Normals: Old Zeku's standing and crouching LP and LK seem to be roughly the same as same as Hiryu's. Young Zeku's standing and crouching HP is similar to Hiryu's standing and crouching MP, but with a hand chop instead of the Cypher. Crouching HK is similar to Hiryu's Slide.

user posted image

V-Skill: Old Zeku's V-Skill has him transform into Young Zeku and do a forward flip-kick with the Cypher slash effect.

Specials (Old Zeku): Bushin Gram moves obviously produce the Cypher slash effect and are named after Hiryu's Gram, as previously indicated. The Koku and Teki versions project the shockwaves at different angles and can combo into one another, while the Ban version is a DP-style anti-air.

Specials (Young Zeku): His Hayagake run moves are from Guy, but his MK folow up (Ashikari) does the slide animation, and his HK follow up (Gekkou) does an axe kick with the Cypher slash effect. His Hassou Jump does Hiryu's Leaping Kick from MvC.

The Capcom US stream they did later went through the framedata so it probably has way more detail with his animations if anyone wants to try and find all the 1:1 comparisons.

This post has been edited by Suzaku: Oct 18 2017, 08:54 AM
PM
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Oct 20 2017, 03:12 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

I dunno. On one hand, I don't know how close they are to the development team and they could just be repeating what most people believe already (as, let's be honest, regardless of what the story mode or Capcom says, a lot of people will forever refer to Zeku as the "first Strider"). On the other hand, they obviously beat story mode, so... ph34r.gif

Wokring on the wiki article (trying to be throrough as usual is hard!), I found this video:

Here's a detailed rundown of Zeku's movelist with notation and names. Apparently we may have rushed to conclusions with Hassou Tobi, as it appears the wall kick is actually a different technique off the Sankaku Tobi named the Bushin Shidenkyaku ("Swordflash Kick"), and there's apparently no actual footage of how Hassou Tobi looks like yet...

Also, another nod to Hiryu found! Young Zeku has a follow-up to his Cypher-like HP chop known as "Kaeshi Saiha" (返し災破, Reverse Disaster Cut) where Zeku performs the same chop in reverse.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/s77z2u9vhzaa...zeku+slice.gif# (gif of the full animation)

This is pretty much exactly how Hiryu's rapid-fire slashes works on the Arcade games, with him swinging forward, then back in reverse. Zeku's swinging arm is nowhere near as fast as Hiryu's, so here's a comparison with the first Arcade game's sprites since it's really hard to appreciate in motion.

Attached Image

This is actually the first animation exclusively based on the Arcade series, as Marvel vs. Capcom has no reverse swinging motion nor rapid-fire version of the horizontal slash. But there is more! Given this information, "Saiha" seems a very deliberate naming choice since its pronuntiation is almost the same as Cypher (Saifaa). So Zeku's swinging chop would technically be named "Saiha", and the Striders' future swinging sword will be named "Saifaa". Hmm.

Young Zeku's taunt also appears to mimic Hiryu's taunt in Ultimate and Infinite, turning his back on the enemy while raising his hand with two fingers up. This is a pretty common ninja pose, though, so it may not be explicity a reference to Hiryu.

Finally, Young Zeku's back throw looks very generic, but it does resemble Hiryu's back throw...from Capcom Fighting All-Stars (Watch here, at 0:53). I know thinking they pulled that from a cancelled game is a massive stretch, but it's so generic it does make me wonder, specially why they didn't just use the Izuna Drop he does in MvC already...

This post has been edited by Strider Sombra: Oct 20 2017, 03:19 AM

Attached 1 File(s)

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Oct 21 2017, 06:28 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

So, anyone knows/remember this SSB image of Mega Man?

user posted image

Well, I decided to piece together...THIS!

Attached Image

Still probably missing some (didn't check for hit anim, for example), but this will be enough to appreciate teh parallels.

Attached 1 File(s)

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Suzaku
 Posted: Oct 24 2017, 07:02 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: LSCM Staff Member
Zenny: 305

Donate
Member No.: 17

His story mode, which is super short, simply has him trying to recruit Ibuki to his new ninja organization, and then offering his services as a spy to Karin Kanzuki.

In the end he begins switching back and forth between his young and old forms, debating different names for his new group, alternating between Japanese and English. Most are obvious jokes, and amongst them is "Striders."

user posted image

In other words, inconclusive / lampshaded?

This post has been edited by Suzaku: Oct 24 2017, 07:29 PM
PM
^
Strider Chen
 Posted: Oct 25 2017, 03:02 AM
Quote Post

A fantasy that's dead, or a fantasy of death?
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Zenny: 260

Donate
Member No.: 3

Asteroids Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Tetris Champion! Xevious Champion!

Isn't it a bit interesting that he's standing on what looks to be a mosque?

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Oct 25 2017, 06:10 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

Of course I find it quite interesting! Besides being a nice nod to the first stage's iconic architecture, it also looks like that old artwork piece of Hiryu looking at the moon from the top of the Grand Mosque.

By the way, it seems my little comparison image has hit the news! Nice!

As I expected, not a lot to garner from the story mode in the end, just Zeku's shenanigans in trying to sell his "new ninja group" around. They kept things pretty much implied, albeit quite strongly. I found the name-dropping at the end a bit cringe-worthy, though. Like, instead of having a meaning behind ("Those Who Run Across Fields"?), it was just something Zeku randomly threw around while thinking on names, and it didn't even made much sense (Slashers? his attacks are razor-sharp kicks so sure! Slayers? Why not, his movelist is quite brutal. Striders? Eh...I guess his command run can be called a "stride"...?). Seems a bit of a cheap way to end the story mode.

In any case, they aren't so subtle on other parts:
+ Apparently in the shop each character and costume gets a little written paragraph by series' clown Dan Hibiki. Dan's commentary for the Battle Costume directly and explicilty labels it a "prototype uniform for the new ninja corps that Zeku is trying to create."
+ Zeku's color details from the official website has a comment state Battle Costume Color 1 (default) and 11 are "dead-on for a certain striding character..." Interestingly, the JP version of that text actually censors out "Strider" (SutoraXdaa or "StrXder"). Wonder why...
+ One of Zeku's unlockable titles is "Original Strider". You can see it here. Can't get more blatant than that right?

While I'm at it, Battle Costume Color 11 more closely resembles Hiryu's scheme, having a lighter tone of blue on the uniform, a darker brown on the shoulder straps and a recolored pouch belt to silver (so just like Hiryu's metallic belt). The proto-Cypher also appears to get a recolor to match the real Cypher's colors.

Battle Costume Color 9 is a dirty white uniform with a pure white scarf and maroon/brown-ish accesories, so it gives a strong Hien vibe IMO. Battle Costume Color 14 is a full white uniform, but sadly the scarf and sash are red so it sort of loses points on that. Finally, Old Zeku's Color 13 is black and white, but since the site doesn't include pics of young Zeku I can't be sure how it stacks to Hien's look.

And default Color 14 gives me such a "NES Kuramoto sprite color" vibes...

EDIT: Apparently Zeku also thinks his enemies don't need toys like those (or for us, wonder why send a toy into battle.)

https://twitter.com/goma399/status/923101131416334336

"Kisamara ni sonna gangu wa hitsuyōnai"

This post has been edited by Strider Sombra: Oct 27 2017, 02:52 AM

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Nov 3 2017, 04:31 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

Been a bit quiet lately. Hey Ichiban, did you got my reply? It's been a while, I was sorta wondering.

Anyway, no new references this time, but a mod. People sure is fast, so now we have a 100% Hiryu!Zeku costume (they forgot to change the chest kanji tho) ...with a 100% Reborn/2014 Hiryu young version!

Just amazing what modders can create.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Nov 11 2017, 02:19 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

The wiki is funny like this sometimes...

Attached Image

Zeku's not only the first Strider, but the 2nd plumber as well it appears... blink.gif

Attached 1 File(s)

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Nov 20 2017, 02:35 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

A trailer for the new V-Triggers was released today:

You can see Zeku's new V-Trigger at around 0:15 and, what a surprise, he's doing his own take on the Savage Slash now!

Attached Image

Can't wait to see if any of his Arcade Mode endings (all 6 of 'em) will make further references.

Attached 1 File(s)

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin made by Kman of Kskins
> Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
LSCM Zoanthropy Onimusha.ORG Strider Wiki West Mansion: The Splatterhouse Homepage DDS-NET