Flying Swallow? More like Space Swallow, HAHAHAHAH aw yeah

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> ScrewAttack's Ryu Hayabusa vs Hiryu Death Battle, Let the battle begin.
Lepa
 Posted: Jul 30 2013, 01:17 PM
Quote Post

Professional Anime Dater
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Zenny: 2095

Donate
Member No.: 7

QUOTE (Strider Ichiban @ Jul 30 2013, 07:53 AM)
Death Battle preview videos are up over on ScrewAttack.

[...]

Research seems a little underwhelming and humorous on Hiryu's side, even for their preview... Compared with Ryu's anyway.

I haven't even watched the video (and really don't plan to because I'm bracing myself to be severely disappointed with Hayabusa probably winning; I GET VERY EMOTIONAL, OK?!) but that is totally what I was afraid of happening.

Call me (or don't) if/when Hiryu loses so I can unleash my Unstoppable Rage™ powered by the passionate fury of one hundred million fangirls upon the next poor unsuspecting soul who so much as breathes near me the wrong way

That or I'll probably just draw a frustrated doodle in response for everyone's amusement.

Probably the latter.

Probably.

--------------------
user posted image
Professional Sheep Kicker Matic
PMEmail Poster
^
Scion238
 Posted: Jul 30 2013, 01:29 PM
Quote Post

That one guy.
Group Icon

Group: LSCM Webmaster
Zenny: 8705

Donate
Member No.: 8

QUOTE (Strider Ichiban @ Jul 30 2013, 06:53 AM)

His age: 2021?! I'm sure they would know...

Hiryu's age = X + "2000 years ago", where X is any number greater than zero. Because X is ALWAYS greater than Zero. wink.gif

Forensic analysts (the surviving members of the Warren Commission, actually) are calling this the "magic Strider" theory.

This post has been edited by Scion238: Jul 30 2013, 01:31 PM

--------------------
For the Paladins of the Zakarum, faith is a shield.
If you don't have faith as a shield, an actual shield is a good substitute.
PMEmail PosterICQAOL
^
LousyTactician
 Posted: Jul 30 2013, 01:30 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Group: Members
Zenny: 20

Donate
Member No.: 75

QUOTE (Strider Ichiban @ Jul 30 2013, 05:53 AM)

Also, 2 million degrees Celsius now equals 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit apparently.

I'm pretty sure they meant 3.600032 X 10⁶. As a quick Google search shows, 2 million degrees Celsius when calculated to Fahrenheit is 3,600,032°. It will almost certainly be changed in the final product if enough people complain about it.

EDIT: I'm glad Tokyo Zombie was able to create some badass fan-art before the fight happened. http://www.screwattack.com/news/death-batt...art-clash-ninja . I really wish I could add this to the prediction blog.

This post has been edited by LousyTactician: Jul 30 2013, 01:33 PM
PM
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Jul 30 2013, 11:05 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Wiki Staff Member
Zenny: 4470

Donate
Member No.: 18

I liked the preview, I found it not any more funny nor any worst than Ryu's. It's a small piece of the final one, so it's probable it just seems to be shorter/less detailed because of that. I presumed the farenheits were just a typo, and I don't mind the entirely made-up false height and weight stats, they are just unimportant stats anyway.

The only thing I truly can't stand is the "Magic Strider theory". God do I. Because that's simply a "popular" assumption in no way backed by anything official. Even if we take the ending of Strider 2 at face value, it means little to Hiryu. So Meio fought Hiryu 2000 years ago...is he the same Hiryu? Is he immortal? doesn't age? is he a clone? hibernation? time-displaced? is he instead a new generation Hiryu carrying on a legacy? some even more convulted theory? No way to truly know if he's actually physically that old, let alone actually lived through those 2000 years.

For that matter, the producers of the new game seem to believe he was "a clone or something", which'd make him a 20-something clone of the original, not a 2000-years old immortal (mind, I don't really buy the producers here anyway). I'd rather see one of his official ages listed (19 in the manga, 20's in Strider 2) instead of seeing/hearing "he has 2000 years of experience" pop up at some point...

QUOTE (LousyTactician @ Jul 30 2013, 12:28 PM)

EDIT: I'm glad Tokyo Zombie was able to create some badass fan-art before the fight happened. http://www.screwattack.com/news/death-batt...art-clash-ninja . I really wish I could add this to the prediction blog.

That's some nice fanart. Love to see some good fanart of Hiryu, there needs to be more of 'em.

--------------------
user posted image
The spirit of the warriors will always be with you.
PM
^
Strider Ichiban
 Posted: Jul 31 2013, 09:13 AM
Quote Post

SEAP
Group Icon

Zenny: 1855

Donate
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Scion238 @ Jul 30 2013, 12:27 PM)

Forensic analysts (the surviving members of the Warren Commission, actually) are calling this the "magic Strider" theory.

Never gets old.

QUOTE (Opal @ Jul 30 2013, 12:15 PM)

I haven't even watched the video (and really don't plan to because I'm bracing myself to be severely disappointed with Hayabusa probably winning; I GET VERY EMOTIONAL, OK?!) but that is totally what I was afraid of happening.

Hey, I understand how you feel, but there's really no need to sweat it that much. This 'fight to the death' is just for entertainment's sake at the end of the day after all (as strange as that sounds).
It's also important to remember that Ryu has always had a massive advantage with all the games he's had to draw from over the years. At this point it would almost be comical if he were to lose to Hiryu. I mean, all that work the Ninja Gaiden developers have had to go through trying to reinvent Ryu as a badass, giving him all sorts of crazy magics and abilities to help distance him from his more humble past ability of getting himself kidnapped by random strangers...
Hope this helps. smile.gif

QUOTE (Opal @ Jul 30 2013, 12:15 PM)

That or I'll probably just draw a frustrated doodle in response for everyone's amusement.

Yes, if he loses, I'm sure some would appreciate a frustrated doodle.

QUOTE (Strider Sombra @ Jul 30 2013, 10:03 PM)

(19 in the manga, 20's in Strider 2)

Where does 20's come from exactly? Japanese manual?

This post has been edited by Strider Ichiban: Jul 31 2013, 10:11 AM
PM
^
Scion238
 Posted: Jul 31 2013, 11:21 AM
Quote Post

That one guy.
Group Icon

Donate

QUOTE (Strider Ichiban @ Jul 31 2013, 08:11 AM)
QUOTE (Scion238 @ Jul 30 2013, 12:27 PM)

Never gets old.

I wondered if anyone would catch that one. Nicely done.

QUOTE (Strider Sombra @ Jul 30 2013, 10:03 PM)

(19 in the manga, 20's in Strider 2)

I was curious about this myself. I don't remember where Hiryu's age in the games is ever stated. In fact, the US Strider 2 manual says that his personal data (nationality, career, age, real name, etc.) is a secret.

This post has been edited by Scion238: Jul 31 2013, 11:22 AM

--------------------
PMEmail PosterICQAOL
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Aug 1 2013, 03:43 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

QUOTE (Scion238 @ Jul 31 2013, 10:19 AM)

I was curious about this myself. I don't remember where Hiryu's age in the games is ever stated. In fact, the US Strider 2 manual says that his personal data (nationality, career, age, real name, etc.) is a secret.

It's actually from the JAMMA AM Flyer from the game's debut. It doesn't really contradicts the manual's account (which is the same both English and Japanese) since its written as in-story speculation: "Asian male around the age of 20. Actual nationality, age, name, etc. unknown due to secured files of active agents."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Scion238
 Posted: Aug 1 2013, 07:39 AM
Quote Post

That one guy.
Group Icon

Donate

Aha... It's been years since I looked at the details on the AM Show flyer. Nice catch.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterICQAOL
^
Strider Ichiban
 Posted: Aug 1 2013, 07:44 AM
Quote Post

SEAP
Group Icon

Donate

QUOTE (Strider Sombra @ Aug 1 2013, 02:41 AM)

QUOTE (Scion238 @ Jul 31 2013, 10:19 AM)

It's actually from the JAMMA AM Flyer from the game's debut. It doesn't really contradicts the manual's account (which is the same both English and Japanese) since its written as in-story speculation: "Asian male around the age of 20. Actual nationality, age, name, etc. unknown due to secured files of active agents."

Doesn't exactly sound official though does it? A few spelling and factual errors here and there...
It's still official Strider 2 speculation though I guess. His true age is probably more likely to be his original 19 from 2048 plus approximately 2,000 years into the future. "Almost two thousand" in the U.S. version. His actual physical age is still probably only 19, the same as his age would have been in the original arcade/NES and perhaps even in his latest game.
They also seemed to be really intent on pushing the whole 'ninja' angle in that flyer. It's kind of similar to explicitly calling the walking dead "Zombies" in a zombie film in my opinion. Romero just didn't do it in the early days. He wanted the whole idea to be a little more ambiguous.
I think Hiryu and the Striders were originally supposed to be derived from ninjas as a concept rather than implying they are actually ninjas themselves anyway... This looks to have changed to become a more overt reference over time. I guess it's just easier to relate to for marketing purposes. "Strider? What the hell's a Strider?"
Only a matter of time before he becomes Future Ninja Hiryu, folks...
Future Ninja Dynamics. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Strider Ichiban: Aug 1 2013, 10:26 AM
PM
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Aug 2 2013, 04:54 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

QUOTE (Strider Ichiban @ Aug 1 2013, 06:42 AM)
His true age is probably more likely to be his original 19 from 2048 plus approximately 2,000 years into the future. "Almost two thousand" in the U.S. version. His actual physical age is still probably only 19, the same as his age would have been in the original arcade/NES and perhaps even in his latest game.

The Game+Book actually uses the same Strider 2 bio for him, stating his age as being "top secret", though there's also an older backstory text in one of those membership-only Capcom publications that lists him as being born in 2030 (which makes him 18 years old).

And yeah, it's already on my to-do list. And it has a few more interesting and/or shocking surprises in there too. wink.gif

I think Hiryu and the Striders were originally supposed to be derived from ninjas as a concept rather than implying they are actually ninjas themselves anyway... This looks to have changed to become a more overt reference over time. I guess it's just easier to relate to for marketing purposes.

IMO, I blame Marvel vs. Capcom. Most official info related to him in those games cuts the middleman and calls him a ninja. Hell, his nickname in MvC2 is "The Modern-Day Ninja"! The fact he has the looks and general style didn't probably helped his case either.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Strider Ichiban
 Posted: Aug 2 2013, 05:17 AM
Quote Post

SEAP
Group Icon

Donate

QUOTE (Strider Sombra @ Aug 2 2013, 03:52 AM)

The Game+Book actually uses the same Strider 2 bio for him, stating his age as being "top secret", though there's also an older backstory text in one of those membership-only Capcom publications that lists him as being born in 2030 (which makes him 18 years old).

I 'heard' about the 18 years old age many years ago from someone and never questioned the source.
I'd always just assumed that was his age until about 3 or 4 years ago after reading all the new conflicting information from the net (manga etc). I'd still like to believe it's 18 actually.
It just makes him sound more epic having achieved the top Strider rank so young and then being able to go off and save the whole world.

QUOTE (Strider Sombra @ Aug 2 2013, 03:52 AM)

IMO, I blame Marvel vs. Capcom. Most official info related to him in those games cuts the middleman and calls him a ninja. Hell, his nickname in MvC2 is "The Modern-Day Ninja"! The fact he has the looks and general style didn't probably helped his case either.

You and I are on the same page. Marvel vs. Capcom really has a lot to answer for. Everything that has come from it is tainted... tainted! wink.gif

Well, Hiryu's fight with Ryu Hayabusa is out now. No spoilers from me.

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/originals...s-strider-hiryu

This post has been edited by Strider Ichiban: Aug 3 2013, 04:07 AM
PM
^
 Posted: Aug 2 2013, 05:42 PM
Quote Post

A random fan approacheth!
Group Icon

Zenny: 90

Donate
Member No.: 9

I very much enjoyed the Death Battle, oddly enough; I feel it came out just about as it should have...

see - no spoilers!

--------------------
"Wait, Ninja Crusaders makes no sense. What the hell are they crusading for? The spread of ninja-ism? For chi and sushi?" - Persona
"If you turn your swords into plowshares, someone is going to beat you to death with a mouse." - Deadguy2322
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Pronounced: no-time-now
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Aug 3 2013, 12:56 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

Ok, the video was quite above what I expected. That was one hell of a fight, pretty impressed. And I was actually on the edge of the seat over who would win until the last second, well aware either side could ultimately take the win. Also, mad props for the staredown, was a great touch!

I'll not spoil it either just in case. The analysis itself was also well done and a good laugh. While I'm still paining over the age, I sort of see now that it may have been a required compromise to write both Hiryus as being the same, a better alternative over trying to expain the ambiguous connection between them. Still, would have preferred not to hear that "retirement of 2000 years"...since Hien appears to have worked with him as a Strider before the game's start, and nowhere in Strider 2 there's word of any retirement. And I wonder from where does that "Vajra gadget" stuff came from... unsure.gif

Anyway, those are but minor grips. Very nice episode. As a big fan of Soulcalibur, will be keeping a close eye for next one.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Strider Ichiban
 Posted: Aug 3 2013, 04:05 AM
Quote Post

SEAP
Group Icon

Donate

QUOTE (Strider Sombra @ Aug 2 2013, 11:54 PM)

And I wonder from where does that "Vajra gadget" stuff came from...  unsure.gif

Maybe they got the idea of it being some sort of device from wikipedia unsure.gif
"Additionally, it is a symbolic ritual object that symbolizes both the properties of a diamond (indestructibility) and a thunderbolt (irresistible force)."
Anyway, I'm sure there were plenty of Ryu fans out there that were shocked that Hiryu could teleport.

This post has been edited by Strider Ichiban: Aug 3 2013, 04:05 AM
PM
^
Scion238
 Posted: Aug 3 2013, 11:38 AM
Quote Post

That one guy.
Group Icon

Donate

Personally, I loved the bit where Hiryu puts the fight on pause to equip a Trick from his submenu. Hilarious.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterICQAOL
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin made by Kman of Kskins
> Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
LSCM Zoanthropy Onimusha.ORG Strider Wiki West Mansion: The Splatterhouse Homepage DDS-NET