Flying Swallow? More like Space Swallow, HAHAHAHAH aw yeah

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> MvC Infinite!
coinilius
 Posted: Sep 16 2017, 02:45 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Zenny: 475

Donate
Member No.: 101

IF the outfit was purple, the orange/purple colour scheme reminds me of the Amstrad version of Strider's Hiryu sprite (but it's purple hair/clothes with orange skin)...

And interesting that they basically drop a pretty massive revelation about the nature of Hiryu/Meio and the Strider universe in a VS title...
PM
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Sep 17 2017, 05:41 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Wiki Staff Member
Zenny: 4470

Donate
Member No.: 18

QUOTE (coinilius @ Sep 16 2017, 01:43 AM)
IF the outfit was purple, the orange/purple colour scheme reminds me of the Amstrad version of Strider's Hiryu sprite (but it's purple hair/clothes with orange skin)...

You know, I wouldn't discard it so fast! I mean, I can totally see the staff applying the yellow from that sprite to the uniform since yellow skin wouldn't pop out as much when compared with the regular skin. And the purple hair fits with the purple hair in this one, plus the black straps/belt sort of fits the black outline too. That's probably the closest to a reference in this strange color we'll find, outside of some REALLY obscure stuff I may not even be aware of! ph34r.gif

The only problem I see is that I have serious doubts the Japanese staff even knows the Amstrad CPC exists, so I have a hard time thinking this'd be intentional. Really hate Capcom JP keeps on ignoring the existence of the NES game, there's plenty of good palettes they could've referenced there dammit! Kain, Sheena, Matic, Ryuzaki. Damn, throw in some manga colored art for extra obscure references there. Such a waste.

By the way, 4th Color's in:

Attached Image

Seems identical to his Ultimate Color 3 (aka Kenji from Capcom's Red Earth), except the blonde hair was changed to gray...and I can only think of only one gray-haired character wearing blue/gold... (too bad they didn't gave him a tan, another wasted opportunity...)

And interesting that they basically drop a pretty massive revelation about the nature of Hiryu/Meio and the Strider universe in a VS title...

It's an interesting thing to confirm, that's for sure. Although I'm not too fond on the idea that Hiryu is actually aware and they don't really expand or explain how did this came to happen in the first place, so it's a bit shallow. It sorta makes you think how it applies to the 2014 game too, since there's pretty much no aknowledgement or anything.

Besides, I don't know how much weight I'd put on this. The script was written by Marvel staff, so he may have just choose that out of the many other possible ways to explain it. And PxZ2 didn't bothered bringing it up, so it may not even register for the Japanese "canon"...

Attached 1 File(s)

--------------------
user posted image
The spirit of the warriors will always be with you.
PM
^
coinilius
 Posted: Sep 17 2017, 07:18 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

I was also thinking that it might just be a 'meta' joke about video games and how Hiryu is constantly fighting Meio in what amounts to different iterations of the game/different 'lives' (like video game lives?)... but I don't know. Like you said, it could just be a throwaway as well with no significance to the actual Strider series.
PM
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Sep 18 2017, 03:30 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

I don't know, it seems it's played a bit too straight for a meta-joke. There are vids of Story Mode popping up everywhere, but they are just as fast taken down by Capcom. So I made a quick transcript of the two scenes pertinent to our interests wink.gif

Big spoilers, of course:

Spoiler (Show/Hide)

Hiryu and Gamora just defeated a bunch of Ultron Drones.

Gamora - This man, Grandmaster Meio -- who is he to you?
Hiryu - He is no man, he's the Lord of Darkness, capable of corrupting life itself,
reshaping it to his own twisted designs.
Gamora - It seems you know him well.
Hiryu - I had fought the Grandmaster for a thousand years, dying a thousand
deaths, as if my fate were forever bound to his.
Gamora - But this time, you're not fighting him alone.

Grandmaster Meio appears in front of Nova and Captain Marvel as they reach the core

Grandmaster - Hahahaha, Come bear witness to the death of your world.
The virus shall reshape the Earth in Ultron Sigma's image...
The drones shall destroy any who resists.

Ultron Sigma believes we are making a perfect universe.
I am merely content to see your kind suffer...

Battle against drones begins. Once finished, Hiryu and Gamora jump at two posts next to Meio.

Hiryu - Grandmaster...
Grandmaster - Strider Hiryu... Noble to the last...
Hiryu - I merely wanted you to know who it was that ended your existence.
Grandmaster - You forget Strider... death has no dominion over me!

Meio attacks both, but they jump up and before he can attack again cross-slash him, seemingly killing him.

Gamora - Yet still you die.
Hiryu - You have my thanks.
Gamora - Those words must feel strange on your tongue.

And that's it. A bit underwhelming IMO and sort of a waste to not have Hiryu "fight" him, but what can you do? Alo Japan has "Hiryu x Valkyrie", so we get "Hiryu x Gamora" now? http://I.imgur.com/DPwh5yE.gif

Anyway, it was a bit different as how I remembered from the first quick view I got, but still it seems just too shallow. Like the writer needed Hiryu to expose on something to Gamora and make that "scene" and since there isn't anything of an actual official word on how the two are tied (or how he's connected to the first game's "Old Hiryu"), he just went with the easiest answer to explain. Still really thankful they didn't go with "super-science immortal!" or "cloned a gazillion times", I hate those "theories".

It also implies a lot more than just the original Strider as a previous life, so maybe you're right and he's counting all crossovers too? laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Sep 19 2017, 05:07 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

Story Mode vids are now fair play it appears. So if someone wanna see the cutscene for themselves...

Go to 17:10 for the Knowmoon chapter. Pretty much that's all we get in terms of story for Meio and Hiryu.

I've also read Meio's bio in the gallery mode, and they have pretty much flanderized him into a maniac who simply wants to erradicate all life on Earth. Apparently this version of Meio has no desire for godhood nor grander plans in mind, he just wants to see humans suffer.

Not really surprised that everything turned out to be an afterthought. Atleast he's there in some capacity, so glass 1/3 full? smile.gif

Namco x Capcom Meio remains best (and only other one I guess... tongue.gif ) crossover Meio.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
coinilius
 Posted: Sep 19 2017, 06:20 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

That sucks that Meio has been made more 'generic bad guy' but I guess that is probably a natural byproduct of these kinds of crossover games - the 'boiling down' of characters into easy to describe and digest versions of themselves. Of course it also depends on the game and the creators, and misrepresentation/poorly presented versions of the characters doesn't necessarily reflect on the overall quality of the games either.
PM
^
Strider Chen
 Posted: Sep 20 2017, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

A fantasy that's dead, or a fantasy of death?
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Zenny: 235

Donate
Member No.: 3

Asteroids Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Tetris Champion! Xevious Champion!

I'd take the Hiryu revelations with a grain of salt. The story has some Garlic Jr. shit going on with X & Zero, so everything else is kind of suspect to me. And also, I dunno if it really implies anything more than Hiryu acknowledging that
someone like him fought the Grandmaster a thousand years ago.

While I think MvCI's story left a bit to be desired, I do appreciate how front and center X and Hiryu were. And I love Meio spouting the "sons of old gods" line during the battle.

I've also read Meio's bio in the gallery mode, and they have pretty much flanderized him into a maniac who simply wants to erradicate all life on Earth. Apparently this version of Meio has no desire for godhood nor grander plans in mind, he just wants to see humans suffer.

Which is pretty weird considering that Hiryu talks about his life-creation powers. I don't know what happened there.

This post has been edited by Strider Chen: Sep 20 2017, 07:44 PM

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Sep 22 2017, 02:31 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

QUOTE (coinilius @ Sep 19 2017, 05:18 PM)
That sucks that Meio has been made more 'generic bad guy' but I guess that is probably a natural byproduct of these kinds of crossover games - the 'boiling down' of characters into easy to describe and digest versions of themselves.  Of course it also depends on the game and the creators, and misrepresentation/poorly presented versions of the characters doesn't necessarily reflect on the overall quality of the games either.

I may have sound too harsh back that post, but I do still enjoyed the series' representation. it was certainly not as underwhelming as others like Dead Rising or Bionic Commando (I swear I keep forgetting Spencer's even in this!), and Meio being literally the one responsible for infecting entire worlds and reshaping life into Ultron-Sigma's kind is quite cool and character-adecuate. Just wish he'd have been a boss and not just a background hazard.

QUOTE (Strider Chen @ Sep 20 2017, 06:39 PM)
I'd take the Hiryu revelations with a grain of salt. The story has some Garlic Jr. shit going on with X & Zero, so everything else is kind of suspect to me.

Yeah, I don't think it holds too much meaning, specially since it's not something the 2014 game even tried to push or hint about. And you're probably right, perhaps I may have read too much into the line. Wish someone would do a vid showing Gallery Mode's entry for the Knowmoon stages, that's the only backstory-related stuff I'm missing. The Cypher entry atleast got everything right!

So he actually does say the Sons of Old Gods line? I haven't had time to hear all the lines he said, but that's definitively a great call back! Plus I seriously love how Adam Harrington did Meio, he nailed how the character should sound very well.

Which is pretty weird considering that Hiryu talks about his life-creation powers. I don't know what happened there.

Indeed, and they even discussed him wanting to "control and manipulate life" back at that San Diego Comic Con panel (I doubt the writer of that article knows that much about Meio). I guess whoever wrote the entry didn't care. I mean, it basically reads "A mysterious and cruel being who wants to erase all life on Earth. Joins Ultron Sigma over their shared goal to erase all life on Earth". That's redundant, genius!

Anyway, here's Hiryu's theme extended.

IMO, not as good as Ultimate, but it has some good parts.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Sep 28 2017, 03:00 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

All characters' voice collection!

Go to the 43 min. mark for Hiryu.

I've heard some people say TJ Storm did better than Ultimate. I personally don't hear it...

Transcript of all lines:
Spoiler (Show/Hide)

Strider Hiryu moving in.
You do this your way, I'll do it mine.
The target is mine, understood?
You have my thanks.
I put my trust in your command.
This is not the day for kindness.
Target confirmed, commencing operation.
I will eliminate all obstacles.
I am the hunter, you are my prey.
No place for amateurs.
That is hardly a noble weapon.
You have real skill, but I shall be the victor.
You know the attack plan, let's go!
Together, we are invincible.
Be as the sword, follow instinct not thought.
For all you have done, you shall taste my blade!
You have revealed your true nature, now I will end your existence!
Your daughter Gamora will thank me for this.

Got you!
Too easy!
Useless!
That didn't work!
You're not worth my time!
Hm, is that all?
Go!
Slice!
??
Dodge this!
Detonate!
Now!
Too late!
You're mine!
Target in sight!
Where are you going?
No escape!
Combined attack!
Legion!
Attack!
Formation...
Ouroboros!
Let's end this!
Double assault!
Secret art!
Ragnarok!
Cut you to ribbons.
No defense!
Die!
Secret technique!
Brionac!
Ha!
My soul is clear!
Let's finish this!
This ends here!
Enough!
This cannot be.
Fall back!
Withdraw!

Hiryu to headquarters, mission accomplished.
My life...? I gave up that a long time ago. (unused)
Excuses are the last respite of the weak. (unused)

I like some of his new lines, sounds a bit less bully than in Ultimate. Still looking for the non-voiced victory quotes and Meio's lines, will post them when I got them.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Strider Chen
 Posted: Sep 28 2017, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

A fantasy that's dead, or a fantasy of death?
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Zenny: 235

Donate
Member No.: 3

Asteroids Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Tetris Champion! Xevious Champion!

Compared to the other hackable characters, it seems he never was considered for a proper boss.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Sep 29 2017, 06:18 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

Well, not really surprising. The others are actual functional characters reusing animations from cast members (Ultron Drones use a lot of Ultron's attacks, etc.), whereas Meio is pretty much a glorified stage prop. I don't think they ever intended him to be anything more than that, really. A shame really, he'd have been an unique boss character to the otherwise dry story mode (drones! drones! everywhere!).

Still I like they atleast got his animations/attack very similar to those on the 2014 Strider. It's a nice touch.

And lol at the ending, he's got a winning screen image, but its just his model in a T-pose way off-center. That's golden. http://I.imgur.com/HtTsEc2.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Oct 13 2017, 04:24 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

Hey Kenny, look at the bright side. Atleast Meio is a lot more functional than MODOK! tongue.gif

Here's all of Meio's lines and Hiryu's victory quotes (I think...)

Spoiler (Show/Hide)

Pre-battle intro (hard to hear!)
I shall fulfill my dreams over your scattered bodies.

Before using the Giant Tracker Orb
I shall grant you eternal peace!
All worlds must bow before us!
I have evolved far beyond your pathetic existence

Before using the Lightning Strike
Die, children of the old gods!
Submit to the ultimate power!

During Teleport
I will watch you writhe in anguish
I have transcended beyond death

Spoiler (Show/Hide)

Words would be wasted on you. Your defeat says it all.
For your own safety...forget everything you saw this day.
Death is the only certainty. This is true in all worlds.
Empire, Chitauri, these invaders go by many names...but they perish on our blades just the same.
This battle is over. We each learned something today.
Only the wind will remember your last words.
I'll admit you each have what it takes to be Special-A Class Striders. But that does not put you on my level.
You soldiers derive strength from numbers. For a Strider, one is always enough. (against Chris?)
I should never have doubted the reports... I see now how you took down BioReign single-armed. (against Spencer)
You held your own against a Special-A Class Strider. I'd be honored to stand beside you in battle. (against Gamora)
You're a professional. You know what comes next. (against Zero)
I have parted the veil of mortality for many of your ilk. In the end, you were...average. (against Ultron)

Still like that Hiryu doesn't sound as much like a bully as he did in UMvC3, and I find his and Gamora's shipping hilarious.

I've also discovered the in-game gallery has no art for either Hiryu or Meio. That's blasphemy! http://I.imgur.com/HtTsEc2.gif

And I now think the yellow color alt of Hiryu may be inspired on one of those colored manga pictures. I only have this one, which seems to vaguely fit (scarf's not the right shade, but the white logo and the yellow uniform (a bit darker, I admit) seem like a good match. I think there are other colored images I'm missing, but I don't have the manga to check (so maybe someone with it can confirm? http://I.imgur.com/GUZdhDQ.gif )

I certainly think the purple/burgundy reminds me too much of the manga aesthetics and Wada's main art atleast...

Sigma's about to be released on Tuesday, so I'm a bit hyped for that! Although seeing him in action really reminds me how cool a playable Meio could have been. Oh well...
Capcom also stated the first wave of DLC costumes is soon to be revealed. Any expectations for Hiryu? Outside of the pretty much likely choices (classic 1989 and modern 2014 looks), I wouldn't mind a Hien costume or the unlikely chance they make a Manga-inspired costume (that'd be so cool...). I never learn, but I hope it comes with some nice colors too.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin made by Kman of Kskins
> Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
LSCM Zoanthropy Onimusha.ORG Strider Wiki West Mansion: The Splatterhouse Homepage DDS-NET