Flying Swallow? More like Space Swallow, HAHAHAHAH aw yeah

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> MvC Infinite!
coinilius
 Posted: Sep 16 2017, 02:45 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Zenny: 470

Donate
Member No.: 101

IF the outfit was purple, the orange/purple colour scheme reminds me of the Amstrad version of Strider's Hiryu sprite (but it's purple hair/clothes with orange skin)...

And interesting that they basically drop a pretty massive revelation about the nature of Hiryu/Meio and the Strider universe in a VS title...
PM
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Sep 17 2017, 05:41 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Wiki Staff Member
Zenny: 4420

Donate
Member No.: 18

QUOTE (coinilius @ Sep 16 2017, 01:43 AM)
IF the outfit was purple, the orange/purple colour scheme reminds me of the Amstrad version of Strider's Hiryu sprite (but it's purple hair/clothes with orange skin)...

You know, I wouldn't discard it so fast! I mean, I can totally see the staff applying the yellow from that sprite to the uniform since yellow skin wouldn't pop out as much when compared with the regular skin. And the purple hair fits with the purple hair in this one, plus the black straps/belt sort of fits the black outline too. That's probably the closest to a reference in this strange color we'll find, outside of some REALLY obscure stuff I may not even be aware of! ph34r.gif

The only problem I see is that I have serious doubts the Japanese staff even knows the Amstrad CPC exists, so I have a hard time thinking this'd be intentional. Really hate Capcom JP keeps on ignoring the existence of the NES game, there's plenty of good palettes they could've referenced there dammit! Kain, Sheena, Matic, Ryuzaki. Damn, throw in some manga colored art for extra obscure references there. Such a waste.

By the way, 4th Color's in:

Attached Image

Seems identical to his Ultimate Color 3 (aka Kenji from Capcom's Red Earth), except the blonde hair was changed to gray...and I can only think of only one gray-haired character wearing blue/gold... (too bad they didn't gave him a tan, another wasted opportunity...)

And interesting that they basically drop a pretty massive revelation about the nature of Hiryu/Meio and the Strider universe in a VS title...

It's an interesting thing to confirm, that's for sure. Although I'm not too fond on the idea that Hiryu is actually aware and they don't really expand or explain how did this came to happen in the first place, so it's a bit shallow. It sorta makes you think how it applies to the 2014 game too, since there's pretty much no aknowledgement or anything.

Besides, I don't know how much weight I'd put on this. The script was written by Marvel staff, so he may have just choose that out of the many other possible ways to explain it. And PxZ2 didn't bothered bringing it up, so it may not even register for the Japanese "canon"...

Attached 1 File(s)

--------------------
user posted image
The spirit of the warriors will always be with you.
PM
^
coinilius
 Posted: Sep 17 2017, 07:18 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

I was also thinking that it might just be a 'meta' joke about video games and how Hiryu is constantly fighting Meio in what amounts to different iterations of the game/different 'lives' (like video game lives?)... but I don't know. Like you said, it could just be a throwaway as well with no significance to the actual Strider series.
PM
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Sep 18 2017, 03:30 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

I don't know, it seems it's played a bit too straight for a meta-joke. There are vids of Story Mode popping up everywhere, but they are just as fast taken down by Capcom. So I made a quick transcript of the two scenes pertinent to our interests wink.gif

Big spoilers, of course:

Spoiler (Show/Hide)

Hiryu and Gamora just defeated a bunch of Ultron Drones.

Gamora - This man, Grandmaster Meio -- who is he to you?
Hiryu - He is no man, he's the Lord of Darkness, capable of corrupting life itself,
reshaping it to his own twisted designs.
Gamora - It seems you know him well.
Hiryu - I had fought the Grandmaster for a thousand years, dying a thousand
deaths, as if my fate were forever bound to his.
Gamora - But this time, you're not fighting him alone.

Grandmaster Meio appears in front of Nova and Captain Marvel as they reach the core

Grandmaster - Hahahaha, Come bear witness to the death of your world.
The virus shall reshape the Earth in Ultron Sigma's image...
The drones shall destroy any who resists.

Ultron Sigma believes we are making a perfect universe.
I am merely content to see your kind suffer...

Battle against drones begins. Once finished, Hiryu and Gamora jump at two posts next to Meio.

Hiryu - Grandmaster...
Grandmaster - Strider Hiryu... Noble to the last...
Hiryu - I merely wanted you to know who it was that ended your existence.
Grandmaster - You forget Strider... death has no dominion over me!

Meio attacks both, but they jump up and before he can attack again cross-slash him, seemingly killing him.

Gamora - Yet still you die.
Hiryu - You have my thanks.
Gamora - Those words must feel strange on your tongue.

And that's it. A bit underwhelming IMO and sort of a waste to not have Hiryu "fight" him, but what can you do? Alo Japan has "Hiryu x Valkyrie", so we get "Hiryu x Gamora" now? http://I.imgur.com/DPwh5yE.gif

Anyway, it was a bit different as how I remembered from the first quick view I got, but still it seems just too shallow. Like the writer needed Hiryu to expose on something to Gamora and make that "scene" and since there isn't anything of an actual official word on how the two are tied (or how he's connected to the first game's "Old Hiryu"), he just went with the easiest answer to explain. Still really thankful they didn't go with "super-science immortal!" or "cloned a gazillion times", I hate those "theories".

It also implies a lot more than just the original Strider as a previous life, so maybe you're right and he's counting all crossovers too? laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Strider Sombra
 Posted: Sep 19 2017, 05:07 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

Story Mode vids are now fair play it appears. So if someone wanna see the cutscene for themselves...

Go to 17:10 for the Knowmoon chapter. Pretty much that's all we get in terms of story for Meio and Hiryu.

I've also read Meio's bio in the gallery mode, and they have pretty much flanderized him into a maniac who simply wants to erradicate all life on Earth. Apparently this version of Meio has no desire for godhood nor grander plans in mind, he just wants to see humans suffer.

Not really surprised that everything turned out to be an afterthought. Atleast he's there in some capacity, so glass 1/3 full? smile.gif

Namco x Capcom Meio remains best (and only other one I guess... tongue.gif ) crossover Meio.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
coinilius
 Posted: Sep 19 2017, 06:20 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Donate

That sucks that Meio has been made more 'generic bad guy' but I guess that is probably a natural byproduct of these kinds of crossover games - the 'boiling down' of characters into easy to describe and digest versions of themselves. Of course it also depends on the game and the creators, and misrepresentation/poorly presented versions of the characters doesn't necessarily reflect on the overall quality of the games either.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin made by Kman of Kskins
> Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
LSCM Zoanthropy Onimusha.ORG Strider Wiki West Mansion: The Splatterhouse Homepage DDS-NET